Law Office of
Robert Ricci, Jr.

Get Started With A FREE Consultation: 732-587-7051

A Common Sense Approach To

New Jersey child relocation with a custodial parent

On Behalf of | Jun 29, 2020 | Family Law |

There are many factors that determine where a New Jersey parent lives. One of the most important factors is where they can get a job. Employment is a major stressor for a person and when a parent has a better job offer in another location outside of New Jersey they can be tempted to pull up their roots and move. But for those who are no longer with their child’s other parent this can be complicated and a parent may want to speak with a family law attorney.

Parents always want to do what is best for their children. Sometimes this means that they need to move from their home in New Jersey to another state for their dream job. But this can be a problem for those parents who are no longer together. A custodial parent of primary residence in New Jersey must have the permission before they are allowed to move, both in-state and out-of-state. There are two ways a parent can receive this permission. They can have the child’s non-custodial parent agree to the move or if the non-custodial parent objects, they can go to court. The move must now be proven that it is in the best interests of the child which can be difficult to prove.

An attorney who specializes in family law can help their client with their relocation needs. If a parent is considering a move they may want to consult with an attorney who can advise them of their options and help them make the case for the move. An attorney understands that this may be a difficult time for a parent. If the other parent doesn’t agree with the move, the court will consider many aspects of the move to help determine if it can happen. This can be a complicated process and if a parent goes into it prepared it can help tremendously.

There are circumstances where a New Jersey parent would want to move. Whether it be for a job, a new start, a love interest, or something else, the move may be more difficult if there is a child involved.

FindLaw Network